Historic Temperance Building (c.1891)
Home of the Harriman Heritage Museum
330 Roane Street, Harriman
The Temperance Building was constructed in 1891 as the headquarters for the East Tennessee Land Company, who founded Harriman. Designed by Townsend and Stone Architects, it cost $26,000 to build and at the time was declared the "...finest private office building in the state." The Temperance Building is very striking with its brick and stone facade and four Norman towers but the inside is also very beautiful a commanding center staircase and use of native oak throughout. when the East Tennessee Land Company folded in 1897, the building was purchased by the American Temperance University and was named Greenlee Hall. The university closed in 1908.
Owned by the City of Harriman since 1914 it houses city offices and the Harriman Heritage Museum. The museum holds many old photographs and artifacts from the early days of Harriman's beginning. The museum, which is open by appointment only and during special events, houses many artifacts and pictures of the founding and history of Harriman.
Here is a little trivia - American Temperance University is best remembered for its 1906 gridiron battle against the University of Tennessee, a game American lost 104-0 which was the most points ever scored in a single game by UT.